A Chapel of St Mary at Innerpeffray (“capella sancte marie de inerpefry”) is mentioned in the Inchaffray charters of the 13th and 14th centuries. Ancient yew trees and a medieval altar are all that remain of the first chapel on what was probably a pre-Christian sacred site.
The present chapel was built on the ruins of the original mediaeval structure in 1508 by John, Lord Drummond, who also paid for priests to pray for the welfare of the Drummond family. By 1542 the chapel had become a collegiate community, a non-monastic group of clergy living on site.
Innerpeffray Chapel is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland. Read more here.