Booking Your Visit
We are delighted to announce that the library will re-open for personal visitors from 1st August 2020. We have made some changes to observe the physical distancing requirements stipulated by the Scottish Government, including limiting the number of people who can visit the library at any one time. We are #GoodtoGo certified for 2020, which means we meet the COVID-19 Industry Standard for cleanliness and physical distancing with Visit Scotland.
- We will be operating a timed entry system.
- We recommend you book your entry before you arrive. You can book on the website or by email up to 9am on the day of arrival or by telephone at any time 01764 652819.
- A maximum of eight people can book into an appointment, and these eight must be part of one household or ‘bubble’.
- People who turn up without a prior booking may be asked to wait until a tour slot is available. You will be given an approximate time when that might be. In fine weather Innerpeffray is a delightful place to linger, with the Heritage Trail and grounds of Innerpeffray chapel available to explore adjacent to the library building and we have a ‘waiting room’ gazebo beside the library entrance. Do bear in mind that the weather may be inclement.
For all these reasons we strongly advise you to book a slot for a tour in advance. It also helps us to ensure that we have enough volunteer guides to accompany you on your tour. Please select the date and time slot that you would prefer using the calendar below. Until the end of the 2020 season tours are by donation, instead of our usual charge of £7.50 per person; people under the age of 16 may enter free of charge. A donation can be made at the Library after your visit. A maximum of two parties of visitors may be present in the library at the same time, provided distancing is observed
How to Book
Tours are available on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and also on Sunday afternoons. The calendar below shows the availability of a particular tour on any day.
- Step 1 – Select Month of Visit: choose the month in which you wish to visit the library. Navigate backwards and forwards through the months using the ‘Next’ and ‘Previous’ buttons.
- Step 2 – Where it says ‘Please Select’ choose your time of visit in a drop down list (click on the inverted triangle to the right of the day to display times). Select the day /time you wish to book (for example Friday 10am – 11.30am).
- Step 3 – On the Calendar, click on the date on which you wish to visit. The available dates have a green dot in the corner of the calendar entry. If there is no green dot it means that that tour is booked and you need to select an alternative day or time.
- Step 4 – If the tour is available a grey stripe with the required date and time will appear across the calendar. Position the cursor over the date and underlining will appear. Click on this and you will then be asked for your name and contact details. Please enter in the Description box information about the number of people attending, whether there are any children in the party, whether there are accessibility issues that we need to be aware of and anything else that you think it will be helpful for us to know in advance. If you wish to ask any questions about the booking, enter them in the Description box also.
- Step 5 – click the ‘Book’ button to confirm the booking. You will see a confirmation message on the screen and you will receive a confirmation email (not SMS) shortly afterwards. Click OK to complete the booking procedure.
If anything should cause you to change or cancel a booking please do this by contacting the library directly by telephone 01764 652819. Thank you for booking and we look forward to welcoming you to the library for your tour.
When you arrive
We have a temporary waiting room area in a gazebo beside the front door. You will be greeted by one of our guides and asked to wash or sanitise your hands before the tour starts. All our guides will be wearing face shields/visors and you will be asked to wear a face mask unless you are exempt from doing so. Disposable face coverings will be available free of charge for visitors. We will gather your contact details for Test and Protect, which is part of the Scottish Government’s guidance.
On entering the Library your guide will give you a full introduction to Innerpeffray’s history and the exhibitions on display, and will be happy to answer questions. The current COVID-19 situation has meant we have had to change our policy about handling books. Temporarily, only the Guides will be able to handle books. They will be very happy to show you your choice of book in our screened reading area, and to turn pages for you, so that you can read or take photographs, please ask.
Your tour will commence on the upper floor of the Library and finish on the lower floor where you will be invited to make a donation for your visit (contactless payment is available and cash accepted). You can also have a look around our shop, and we will request that you use hand sanitiser before browsing. Any donation or purchase you make will help us recover from the loss of income in the early part of this year and help keep the Library open in future.
For our regular visitors we know these measures may seem strange at first but we are committed to doing over very best to give you a warm welcome to this special place that you know and love. If this is your first visit, we look forward to sharing this treasure of Scottish history.
Lara Haggerty, Keeper of Books and the Governors and Volunteer Team at Innerpeffray